Skype is the most popular free voice-over IP and instant messaging service in the world. This allows users to send text, video and voice messages over the internet. Users can also call landline and mobile phones at competitive prices using Skype credit, premium accounts, and subscriptions.
Skype was released publicly in 2003 and now accounts for about a third of all international call minutes.
Skype uses P2P technology to connect users on many platforms including desktops, mobile phones and tablets. Call quality (depending on your internet signal) and additional features such as conversation history, conference calls and secure file transfers are very good.
For Android: 6.0+
For Android: 4.0.3
How to use Skype
- After downloading and installing Skype
- You must create a unique Skype user profile and name.
- You can then search for other users in the Skype directory or call them directly using their Skype name.
Features and Benefits of Skype
- Voice chat comes with conference calls, secure file transfers, and very secure end-to-end encryption.
- Video chat is available on higher bandwidth connections and makes keeping family / friends much more interactive.
- Video conferencing and Screenshare features make Skype popular in the corporate market.
- Skype text chat client displays group chats, chat history, message editing and emoticons.
- Skype also allows calls to landline and mobile phones using premium paid services.
- The Skype UI is very intuitive and easy to use. All features of classic messaging services such as profiles, online status, contacts, and recent history are displayed in the left navigation. The right side (main window) opens the content you selected. For each contact, you will see a text message box, chat history and call options.
- On a fast internet connection Skype call quality is very good for voice and video calls.